Xorg Input Hotplugging

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Nov 15 01:22:57 PST 2007

Le jeudi 15 novembre 2007 à 00:48 -0800, David Sharp a écrit :

> I guess you said you understand the basic syntax, so maybe you got this far.

Yes I got this far before posting.

> so, assuming this file isn't working as-is for you, you need to match
> properties for your devices, and merge the properties that xorg will
> understand. You can find these properties in various ways:
>  - hal-device-manager is a gui interface
>  - lshal lists all hal devices and properties.
>  - hal-device does as well (it can also and and remove devices)
>  - hal-find-by-capability does what it says. capabilities come from
> the property 'info.capabilities'
>  - hal-find-by-property also does what it says, but is a bit limited
> (can only find properties with string values, not int, bool, or lists)

I only knew of lshal, but the others only seem different ways to get at
the same info.

> at least one of the properties for your devices should contain their
> usb vendor/product IDs.
>
> other properties xorg understands for keyboards:
>  - input.xkb.rules
>  - input.xkb.model
>  - input.xkb.layout
>  - input.xkb.variant
>  - input.xkb.options
>
> xorg will look for devices with these capabilities (info.capabilities):
>  - input.keys
>  - input.keyboard (deprecated)
>  - input.mouse
>  - input.touchpad
>
> xorg expects these properties to be set on these devices:
>  - input.x11_driver
>  - input.device (usually already set)

I understand this.

> Also, to quote Daniel Stone:
> > Try adding Option "AllowEmptyInput" to the ServerFlags section.

This results in a session with no input devices.

> Hope this was what you were looking for.

Well, not really.

1. I lost buttons 6 and 7 of my mouse. Somehow the system (xev) now
thinks I have a device with buttons 1 2 3 4 5 8 9

How do I tell
Option      "Buttons" "7"

in the brave new hotplug world?

2. I lost the keyboard multimedia key. Driver "evdev" resulted in
correct XF86Foo in my old setup now it's munged as if it passed trough
ps/2 driver. lshal seems to want to apply a layout to this part even if
it's clearly not a general-purpose keyboard.

3. How do I tell xorg to consider hal-configured device foo instead of
fallbacking systematically to the /dev/input/mice multiplexer ?

Etc.

I don't need the broad rules I found them myself. I need someone who
understands this stuff post examples of conversions of complex setups
like mine. Because the current examples are so basic there's no way to
deduce from them the new syntax for:

> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier  "nek4k-base"
> >         Driver      "evdev"
> >         Option      "Protocol" "evdev"
> >         Option      "vendor" "1118"
> >         Option      "product" "219"
> >         Option      "Phys" "*/input0"
> >         Option      "XkbModel" "evdev"
> >         Option      "XkbLayout" "fr,ru"
> >         Option      "XkbVariant" "oss,winkeys"
> >         Option      "XkbOptions"
> > "grp:lwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:rwin"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier  "nek4k-enhanced"
> >         Driver      "evdev"