older nvidia card problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 28 08:10:47 PDT 2007

Greetings;

The card is I believe a GForce2 5200 128 megs of ram.

I know this card can do better than the 1024x768 is currently doing now while
booted to kubuntu-6.06.

That kubuntu version is not adjustable as the machines main software, emc2, is
built based on that kernel version and its promise of long term support.

I have tried adding the additional resolution settings to its xorg.conf, but
any change there results in a freezeup of x before it presents a login
screen.  At that point I do have samba access and the Xorg.0.log's last line
is related to that &^$*&^ wacom pad crap I've tried to delete but had to
restore, but which also kills x in the same or very similar manner, something
about a wacom pointer IIRC.

The monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster, and this monitor has also functioned well
with a previous debian based install, at 1600x1200, while being driven by
this card.

The driver in use is the nv driver, and has been in all previous cases.

Should I try the NVIDIA driver, I have a copy of the latest here on this
machine and a working Samba setup to copy it over.  The question there then
is will the NVIDIA driver play well with the realtime kernel, its an unk.

Also, I am occasionally seeing x's cpu usage going through the roof at 70% for
half an hour at a time, when the screen is quiet.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)