Synaptics MIT license, again

Carlos Corbacho cathectic at gmail.com
Tue May 22 11:09:27 PDT 2007

Florian Loitsch wrote:

> All developers already agreed to the license change. If someone was
> actually misled she can clarify the situation separately. For most of us
> the desire to have the license to be the same as the xorg-license seems
> reasonable, sufficient and acceptable.

I'd be a bit loathe to just commit the changes though while there is still
any ambiguity (although obviously I would be happier if we just took the
agreement to the license change so far and left it at that) - I'd prefer to
play it safe and send everyone again something simpler (more along the
lines of your original suggestion, something like the following).

(Christoph: Would you still be happy with sending any such e-mail, as you
were the original point of contact for the developers? I feel such an
e-mail would be better coming from you)

Greetings again to contributors/ developers of the synaptics X11 driver.

Thank you all for replying to the previous e-mail - all of you agreed with
the license change. However, there has been some debate on the X.Org mailing
list as to whether the original e-mail sent to you was misleading and/ or
inaccurate (For the discussion on the X.Org mailing list, see this [1]). We
feel that, to remove any possible ambiguity about the licensing change, we
are obliged to contact you again to confirm that you are happy to relicense
your contributions to synaptics to the MIT/ X11 license, and that you are
not doing so because we may have misled you in any way over this.

Many thanks for your replies, and we are very sorry to have to bother you
again with this.

If you have any further questions or queries on the license change, please
do not hesitate to contact us.

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-May/024673.html

-Carlos