Various regressions with xf86-video-intel 2.0.0 on 855GM

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu May 17 14:05:08 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 22:09 +0200, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> Rémi Cardona wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been using the newest intel driver for a few weeks now and have
> > noticed the following issues (some of them seem to be in bugzilla, but
> > no updates have been posted there)
>
> I've noticed a few other regressions since I started fiddling around.
>
> 4) DRI no longer works (with or without EXA enabled). Here's what
> happens in Xorg.0.log
>
> (II) intel(0): Attempting memory allocation with untiled buffers and
>                small DRI memory manager reservation:
> (WW) intel(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 10 pages failed
>         (Cannot allocate memory)
> (WW) intel(0): Failed to allocate texture space.
> (WW) intel(0): Not enough video memory.  Disabling DRI.
>
> The first three messages are repeated a few times before and after the
> "Disabling DRI" message.

Failed to attach your log, so I can't tell what happened here.  Chances
are you have a bogus VideoRam line.  We ignore VideoRam entirely these
days.

> 5) I removed my custom modeline from my xorg.conf (my screen is
> 1280x768) and the right mode is selected. But now, gdm and gnome-panel
> believe that my screen is only 1024x768 and will only display stuff in
> that area. Running xrandr "--output VGA --off" resizes everyone to full
> screen. Here's the xrandr output before and after.

The mistaken detection of the VGA connector should be fixed as of a few
days ago.  Unfortunately, gnome-panel still continues to do absurd
things overlapping outputs of mis-matched sizes, if you do that.