Intel 2.0.0 driver not seeing laptop screen resolutions properly

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue May 8 22:44:52 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 15:29 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> Nearly every embedded system I've seen doesn't provide EDID on LCD as
> it costs 2c more, for two extra tracks and an edid chip, there is
> nothing in the Intel design docs mandating this either,... usually the
> dev BIOSes just provide a list of screen types you can pick from...

I'm not worried about embedded systems; presumably on those, you have
some ability to configure the BIOS correctly, or at least don't mind as
much hacking xorg.conf to make it work.

HP provides EDID in their LVDS environments; I'd like to encourage that
for other laptop vendors as that appears the most reliable way of
getting LVDS size information, and has the added bonus of including
physical size which is not available any otherway.

Encouraging laptop vendors to provide (more) reliable and complete data
seems like a good plan.

keith.packard at intel.com