synaptics driver MIT license approach

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue May 8 11:08:25 PDT 2007

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Not wanting to be morbid or a harbinger of doom, but what would happen
> if one of the above has passed away? Would that stop the relicense
> attempt for e.g. 25 years (or however long copyright is these days/in
> your territory of choice), or could you ask their executor of their
> estate? Or do you just say, "sod it they're awa' the crow road so who
> cares!!" and relicense anyway?!!!
>
> Just some idle thoughts from an idle mind. I'd love to see synaptics
> come under the Xorg wing.

Isn't there some kind of 'quiet title' provision in the license?  Seems
to me that this sort of thing should be handled.  Say you attempt to
contact the author, his/her last known employer, post on mailing lists
s/he used to frequent, and if you don't get a response for say 6 months
the license can be changed?

Just mulling out loud....