OpenGL fails after server reset in RC2; can't test in RC3

Marty Jack martyj19 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 20:36:07 PDT 2007

Wang Zhenyu wrote:
> On 2007.03.27 20:15:42 +0000, Marty Jack wrote:
>
>> This is on a G965, builds from release tarballs of Mesa 6.5.2, server,
>> xf86-video-intel.
>>
>> In RC2, the display resolution problem on server reset was fixed, which
>> was another example of excellent progress, and OpenGL applications
>> continued to work.  However, after server reset I am experiencing a
>> reproducible:
>>
>> $ glxinfo
>> name of display: :0.0
>> glxinfo: bufmgr_fake.c:746: bmGenBufferStatic: Assertion `0' failed.
>> Aborted
>>
>> I am curious if anyone else is able to reproduce this.
>>

> Our QA team doesn't report this failure. Could you try current mesa?
> I think it was fixed after 6.5.2 release.

It does indeed work, if I install just Mesa-from-git with the RC2 server
built against 6.5.2.

I find that the RC2 and RC3 servers are not even close to being able to
build against Mesa-from-git.  For example the directory
src/mesa/array_cache no longer exists and src/mesa/swrast causes the
first build problem after that.

Given that the problem is reported and understood, and not a flaw in
X.org, for now I think I will go back to 6.5.2 and RC2, at least until
the screen-blanking gets fixed.  I need logging out and in to work.

One more comment, the deep intertwining of Mesa and X.org leads to a
need to be clear about what release of Mesa is expected at least when a
katamari release comes out.  In my experience that has been somewhat of
an undocumented area.  I encourage you to put that information in the
release announcement.

Thanks for your help on this.