Dynamically switch ServerLayout - is it finally possible ?

JM Ibanez jm at orangeandbronze.com
Mon Mar 26 01:27:49 PDT 2007

Bruno BEAUFILS <bruno.beaufils at lifl.fr> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 01:00:33AM +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
>> Actually, my Dell Latitude D420 has a i945GM.
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
>> 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>
> I got the same box :
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>
>> Switching between LVDS/TMDS/VGA outputs at runtime works very well on
>> this machine with libxrandr2, xserver-xorg-core and
>> xserver-xorg-video-intel packages currently in Debian experimental.
>
> What do you do to switch (just plug/unplug) ?
>
>> I don't know about dock/undock since it often freezes my machine...
>
> OK.
>
> One of my need is to : work with the laptop (1280x800), suspend, plug my
> external flat panel (through the dock), resume, and work on the flat panel
> (1680x1050).
>
> How can do you achieve that ?
>
>> Note that I don't need i915resolution anymore with the packages above
>> (1280x800 on the internal panel).
>
> Maybe because you use xserver-xorg-video-intel. I use
> xserver-xorg-video-i810. I will give a try to xserver-xorg-video-intel.
>
> BTW, do you mean xserver-xorg-video-i810-modesetting ? I do not find
> xserver-xorg-video-intel in debian sid archives :-(

I believe he means bleeding edge (which implies
xserver-xorg-video-i810-modesetting). I also use a laptop with an Intel
video card (00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)) and have been running
git HEAD of the intel driver and xserver as well as the new xrandr
command-line util.

Works for me. I can switch between different resolutions and outputs
without having to edit xorg.conf and restart the X server.

FWIW, I'm running Ubuntu (but I've manually installed the X server and
driver and what-not in /usr/local)

--
JM Ibanez
Senior Software Engineer