Dynamically switch ServerLayout - is it finally possible ?

Bruno BEAUFILS bruno.beaufils at lifl.fr
Sun Mar 25 16:22:16 PDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 01:00:33AM +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
> Actually, my Dell Latitude D420 has a i945GM.
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

I got the same box :

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

> Switching between LVDS/TMDS/VGA outputs at runtime works very well on
> this machine with libxrandr2, xserver-xorg-core and
> xserver-xorg-video-intel packages currently in Debian experimental.

What do you do to switch (just plug/unplug) ?

> I don't know about dock/undock since it often freezes my machine...

OK.

One of my need is to : work with the laptop (1280x800), suspend, plug my
external flat panel (through the dock), resume, and work on the flat panel
(1680x1050).

How can do you achieve that ?

> Note that I don't need i915resolution anymore with the packages above
> (1280x800 on the internal panel).

Maybe because you use xserver-xorg-video-intel. I use
xserver-xorg-video-i810. I will give a try to xserver-xorg-video-intel.

BTW, do you mean xserver-xorg-video-i810-modesetting ? I do not find
xserver-xorg-video-intel in debian sid archives :-(

Or maybe you use Ubuntu, not Debian ...

--
Bruno Beaufils