TV-out support ANYWHERE?

Csillag Kristof Csillag.Kristof.ext at united-consult.hu
Thu Mar 22 04:58:28 PDT 2007

> It's not unusual for S Video to show up as
> black and white, I forget the reasons for this although it may be that there
> is more than one S Video mode or way to connect perhaps someone on this list
> has more details about this and can assist.

AFAIK the most frequent reason black & while problem is one of the following:

 - wrong color standard: outputting NTSC picture to a PAL TV.
     (With my current proprietary nvidia configuration, I can output colour
     data to my PAL TV. However, before I configured it to output PAL instead of
     NTSC, it gave black & white.)

 - wrong s-video output format:
     S-video has two signals: brightness information (Y) and color information (C).
     When converting this to composite, usually only one cable pair (Y) is transferred.
     To make this work, the device outputting the S-video signal must be told that
     the Y signal should include the color information, too.  (This is what setting
     the "TVOutFormat" option in xorg.conf to "COMPOSITE" actually does, for drivers
     that support this.)

So, AFAIK, in order to make it work, I would have to
      - force it to output composite signal via the s-video output port, and
      - set the PAL standard.

> Alternately perhaps you could see if there is a way to connect composite
> video which should not have this problem.
Since I only have DVI and S-Video output ports on the SDVO card, I do not see
how this would be possible.

   Kristof