Navajo xkb symbols?

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Wed Mar 21 12:30:49 PDT 2007

Hi,

First has anyone already done a Navajo keyboard mapping?

On teh presumption that there isn't one I've been trying to make one,
but with limited success.  From xkb/symbols/us:

---cut---
partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "nv" {

    name[Group1]= "Diné Bizaad based on U.S. English - International
(with dead keys)";

    include "us(intl)"
        // Alphanumeric section
	    key <AC01> { [	   a,          A,        aogonek,
Aogonek ] };
    key <AD03> { [	   e,          E,        eogonek,
Eogonek ] };
    key <AD08> { [	   i,          I,        iogonek,
Iogonek ] };
    key <AD09> { [	   o,          O,        oogonek,
Oogonek ] };
    key <AD07> { [	   u,          U,        uogonek,
Uogonek ] };
    key <AC09> { [	   l,          L,        lstroke,
Lstroke] };

    key <AB06> { [	   n,          N,        nacute,
Nacute ] };

    //quotes are more important than dead_diaeresis, I think...
        key <AC11> { [ apostrophe, quotedbl, dead_acute,
dead_diaeresis ] };

include "compose(rwin)"

};
---cut---

most of that works, but "ookonek" and "Oogonek" do not, though I can
compose them with "dead_ogonek + o", this is most puzzling.

The second problem is combining the ogonek with an acute, I can't seem
to do it.  I've tried dead_acute + <vowel>ogonek and dead_ogonek +
<vowel>accute.

I can copy and paste the character from a UTF-8 document, so it will
display with my font in my xterm.  I don't know if the "character" is
two or three actual unicode characters see
http://unicode.org/faq/char_combmark.html#12 for possibilities.

It seems like this should actually be quite easy if you know what
you're doing, is it?

Thanks,
-Jon