tiring tour (unfortunately I have had many others)

gilles gilles.bidoli at free.fr
Fri Mar 16 16:54:54 PDT 2007

Hi all !
preparing the install of xorg-7.2 with xcb, I experimented a tour.

in :
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide
in "The following external dependencies are recommended for a fully
functional build:" is :
xcb from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xcb
 from where you obtain (1) in :
xcb/doc/tutorial/index.html
the following text :
"Installation of XCB
TODO: These instructions are out of date. Just reference the main XCB page"
in :
http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/
where you find :
You can obtain released versions of XCB from
http://xcb.freedesktop.org/dist
which forward to :
http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/DevelopersGuide
for the famous instructions where it is said (2):
"There are multiple modules. The modules you need to checkout, build, and
install for XCB are, in order:
 from X.org git:"
which is a link to :
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide
is it here that the snake bites his tail ?

However, thanks to  IanOsgood, VincentTorri, GotenXiao for the job made.

(1) but neither the repositories xcb/libxcb nor xcb/pthread-stubs which
are listed in http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/DevelopersGuide

(2) : there is also a note :
Note that aclocal needs to be able to find the files installed from
xorg/util/macros. You may need to set ACLOCAL="aclocal -I
/usr/local/share/aclocal" or similar before running autogen.sh or
autoreconf.
So it is not : ./configure, make, make install ?
I haven't found others instructions... (a little short, it seems to me) (?)

(3) last comment : with the xorg-7.2 there is a beautiful script (for
tarballs) that builds all the modules, but that doesn't fit with the xcb
procedure where certain modules must be builded before xcb and then only,
the Xlib...