[Patch] Allow to configure RANDR 1.2 outputs with no device attached

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 12 10:28:37 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 16:05 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:

> Anything that speaks against this patch, or shall I commit?

The most serious issue I see is that this will encourage people to
configure the monitor before plugging it in, which will often fail for
monitors which cannot use the default modes. Is it not better to wait
for the monitor to appear before presenting the supported modes?

I cannot see any particularily good reason to present modes to the user
which may not actually work, especially when it is so easy to simply
wait and present a legitimate set when the monitor is connected.

keith.packard at intel.com