blackscreen with xf86-video-intel-1.9.91

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Mar 10 11:09:57 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 17:27 +0100, Matthieu Baechler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried last intel driver xf86-video-intel-1.9.91 with X.org 1.2.99.901
> on my macbook.

Can you provide us with more precise model information? Many people have
run this driver on various macbook models and it has worked for them.

> Unfortunately, it got a blackscreen at X boot, where only the mouse
> cursor is visible.

That's very odd; it doesn't look like the server is changing the LVDS
mode at all. There are a couple of possible issues; the BIOS sets the
panel up for spread-spectrum clocking and the X driver does not (we
cannot detect whether the external spread-spectrum hardware is present).

> Interestingly enought, after I boot X with the new driver, the old one
> get the same problem (blackscreen, only mouse cursor visible), although
> after a fresh boot, the old driver works fine.

Looking at the output of the server, this doesn't make sense; the server
leaves all of the registers it knows about in the same state as at
startup time.

keith.packard at intel.com