Documentation isues

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sat Mar 3 09:17:24 PST 2007

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 05:25:46PM +0100, robome at myway.de wrote:
> Zitat von Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org>:
> > > Please invest some more energy in documentation.
> >
> > With the resources we have, investing energy in
> > documentation means some development would stop.  We don't
> > have enough people to develop and document.  Sad but true.
>
> I see that predicament though I don't believe it can be that bad you're not even
> able to keep links from the main page alive and provide relnotes.

Index of ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.2/src/app
Up to higher level directory
Directory: appres-X11R7.2-1.0.1.tar.bz2                 15/02/07        22:23:00
Directory: appres-X11R7.2-1.0.1.tar.gz          15/02/07        22:23:00

We could provide release notes, except that a) there are problems with
the doc toolchain apparently, and b) the release notes don't say that
much anyway.

> And for what Matthieu writes I agree in that maybe a lack of good documentation
> (I don't know how good the developer documentation is; is there any doxygen
> generated source docs?) may be partly responsible for your low resources.

Yes, we know.

Sorry if this comes off as being kind of rude, but none of this is
really news.  We know the state of our documentation is worse only than
the state of our site[0].  But we're all too busy trying to fix various
little parts of it to fix it.

It's not a small task.  If you're volunteering, then that's fantastic.
But anything short of efforts to fixing it isn't really helpful.

Cheers,
Daniel

[0]: I'm (very) slowly fixing the sites.  But I'm also in the middle of
     writing a driver, have a billion input maintenance tasks to do,
     have XKB to rewrite to actually work, as well as being on the Board
     of Directors, and my day job -- you see the problem?