Virtual desktop gone

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 08:58:09 PDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Bob Tennent <rdt at cs.queensu.ca> wrote:
>  >|>  >|> > Hi. I've upgraded my ASUS S5N ultraportable to Fedora 7. I
>  >|used to
>  >|>  >|> > specify i810 as the driver but now that hangs up and I
>  >|switched to
>  >|>  >|> > intel. But I no longer get a virtual desktop, despite:
>  >|>  >|> >
>  >|>  >|> >                   Virtual   1600 1200
>  >|>  >|> >
>  >|>  >|> > in the Display section of xorg.conf.
>  >|>  >|>
>  >|>  >|  It got removed from xserver and has to be reimplemented (along with
>  >|>  >|xrandr-1.2 awarness) in window managers.
>  >|>
>  >|> You're saying this a feature, not a bug? Where do I complain about this?
>  >|> The virtual desktops of KDE etc. require clicking and are an utter PITA
>  >|> compared to the traditional smooth-scrolling X virtual desktop.
>  >|>
>  >|
>  >|File a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org).  It shouldn't be too hard
>  >|to implement.  You'd basically just add an adjustframe() hook to the
>  >|crtc functions and then add the proper server side code to support it.
>  >| This was discussed a while ago, but there wasn't much interest.
>
> I don't understand. Where is the bug? The first reply suggested that the
> feature has to be implemented in window managers (every X window manager
> from twm on?) Your reply suggests that "server side" code is needed too.
> I'm finding that the older i810 *driver* implements the feature. Where
> is the discussion you mention? A search at bugs.freedesktop.org doesn't
> turn up anything relevant.

Right.  You should file a bug if you think this is something that
should be implemented.  It works with old servers and old drivers.
randr-1.2 enabled drivers do no implement virtual screens where the
crtc moves around inside a larger desktop.  That feature could be
implemented but it's not at the moment.  When keithp was working on
the new randr 1.2 specification there were several discussions about
moving crtcs and bounding boxes similar to what's implemented in the
old drivers or mergedfb capable drivers.

Alex