Virtual desktop gone

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Fri Jun 29 07:41:28 PDT 2007

 >|>  >|> > Hi. I've upgraded my ASUS S5N ultraportable to Fedora 7. I
 >|used to
 >|>  >|> > specify i810 as the driver but now that hangs up and I
 >|switched to
 >|>  >|> > intel. But I no longer get a virtual desktop, despite:
 >|>  >|> >
 >|>  >|> >                   Virtual   1600 1200
 >|>  >|> >
 >|>  >|> > in the Display section of xorg.conf.
 >|>  >|>
 >|>  >|  It got removed from xserver and has to be reimplemented (along with
 >|>  >|xrandr-1.2 awarness) in window managers.
 >|>
 >|> You're saying this a feature, not a bug? Where do I complain about this?
 >|> The virtual desktops of KDE etc. require clicking and are an utter PITA
 >|> compared to the traditional smooth-scrolling X virtual desktop.
 >|>

 >|File a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org).  It shouldn't be too hard
 >|to implement.  You'd basically just add an adjustframe() hook to the
 >|crtc functions and then add the proper server side code to support it.
 >| This was discussed a while ago, but there wasn't much interest.

I don't understand. Where is the bug? The first reply suggested that the
feature has to be implemented in window managers (every X window manager
from twm on?) Your reply suggests that "server side" code is needed too.
I'm finding that the older i810 *driver* implements the feature. Where
is the discussion you mention? A search at bugs.freedesktop.org doesn't
turn up anything relevant.

Bob T.