xorg 20070621-git i915 on dell D630 blank screen

Jason xorg at lakedaemon.net
Tue Jun 26 05:53:43 PDT 2007

All,

Here's a fun one.  I put xorg that I pulled from git on 20070621 on four
dell D630's.  It works great at 1440x900.  Unfortunately, the one that
was hooked up to the external monitor has gone off it's rocker.

When booting, the screen immediately goes white with some pastel/white
bars (half a shade off of the white of the rest of the screen).  This is
before I see the BIOS or anything.  And here's the kicker, Linux (FC6 w/
Vanilla 2.6.21.5) boots normal, and when it gets to the FC6/Gnome
graphical login, the white screen flickers a bit (like changing modes).

I know this because If I leave the external monitor plugged in, the
screen shows up fine on the monitor.  There is nothing of note in the
Xorg.0.log, nothing in the kernel messages.  It's as if I injected some
bad voodoo into the 965GM and screwed up the internal display, but I
don't know how I did it.  Nor how the problem survives reboot.  The
other three laptops haven't had this problem.

So, before I assume it's a hardware problem and ship it back to Dell,
has anyone seen this before and is there a way to fix it?

tia,

Jason.