Intel 2.0.0 Driver : Override device detection?

Stephen Williams stephen.gw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 06:06:04 PDT 2007

On 6/25/07, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 13:59 +0100, Stephen Williams wrote:
> > If my system is switched on without the connected LCD TV being
> > switched on the X server fails to start. This is because the Intel
> > driver (correctly) fails to detect any connected devices.
>
> It shouldn't matter if the device is off; the server should still detect
> the presense of the monitor through the cable. Are you running it
> through some kind of switch?

Just to make it entirely clear I am connecting the TV directly using a
DVI cable (no switch).

I will triple check this evening to make sure this is indeed what's
happening but i'm fairly confident.

It's interesting to note that:

1) If the DVI cable is not connected then the mac mini refuses to boot.
2) If the DVI cable is connected and the TV is on standby then the mac
mini boots but the Intel driver considers the TMDS-1 interface to be
disconected.
3) If the DVI cable is connected and the TV in powered up then everything works.

The difference between (1) and (2) indicates that there is a
difference to the device presence detection being performed the mac
mini at powerup and the Intel driver.

Steve