Performance improvements on X600

Marek Wawrzyczny marekw1977 at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 23 05:31:50 PDT 2007

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 20:04:29 Jerome Glisse wrote:
> On 6/23/07, Marek Wawrzyczny <marekw1977 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I use the r300-driver (with xorg-server 1.3.0.0 branch) and xeffects
> > overlays on Gentoo which appears to pull sources from the latest git
> > masters branch (I'm a bit weak on git terminology).
> >
> > As of 22/06/2007 21:00 AEST, compiz desktop seems to have received a
> > significant performance boost. For example, the cube effect which usually
> > taxed the CPU at nearly 90% (in performance mode) is now almost
> > insignificant (8%-15% with CPU utilization in the powersave mode!) which
> > leads me to believe that something must have changed in the radeon driver
> > or drm in the last 48 hours to offset most of the work onto the GPU.
> > Impressive.
> >
> > I also have a quetion about the OpenGL depth feature for the r300
> > chipset. At present it's not supported. This causes any OpenGL window Is
> > there anything users can do to help bring this feature for the r300
> > chipset?
> >

> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Marek Wawrzyczny
>
> My guess is that some change in mesa or compiz give you this
> improvement, did you upgraded mesa too ? If so it would be nice
> if you can git bisect btw today fast version and lastest slow version
> you know off.

Yes, upgraded both and both had git updates. I did my update around 22/06/2007
21:00 AEST, the previous update would have been applied 24 hours earlier.

> I am not sure i understand what you mean by depth feature ?
> Depth buffer is supported on r300, last things not supported
> in r300 about depth is z write from fragment program, is it
> what you are talking about ?

Sorry, just not that familiar with terminology. I thought that I've seen this
described that way somewhere.
The symptom is that if you have a window with OpenGL content below (hidden) by
other windows, it's OpenGL content shows through on top.

Cheers,

Marek