Performance improvements on X600

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 03:04:29 PDT 2007

On 6/23/07, Marek Wawrzyczny <marekw1977 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use the r300-driver (with xorg-server 1.3.0.0 branch) and xeffects overlays
> on Gentoo which appears to pull sources from the latest git masters branch
> (I'm a bit weak on git terminology).
>
> As of 22/06/2007 21:00 AEST, compiz desktop seems to have received a
> significant performance boost. For example, the cube effect which usually
> taxed the CPU at nearly 90% (in performance mode) is now almost insignificant
> (8%-15% with CPU utilization in the powersave mode!) which leads me to
> believe that something must have changed in the radeon driver or drm in the
> last 48 hours to offset most of the work onto the GPU. Impressive.
>
> I also have a quetion about the OpenGL depth feature for the r300 chipset. At
> present it's not supported. This causes any OpenGL window Is there anything
> users can do to help bring this feature for the r300 chipset?
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Marek Wawrzyczny

My guess is that some change in mesa or compiz give you this
improvement, did you upgraded mesa too ? If so it would be nice
if you can git bisect btw today fast version and lastest slow version
you know off.

I am not sure i understand what you mean by depth feature ?
Depth buffer is supported on r300, last things not supported
in r300 about depth is z write from fragment program, is it
what you are talking about ?

best,
Jerome Glisse