Intel 965GM on Dell D630, latest git problems

Jason xorg at lakedaemon.net
Wed Jun 20 21:30:02 PDT 2007

Jason wrote:
> All,
>
> I've loaded FC6 on a Dell D630, and am trying to get the newest X.org
> running on it.
>
> My problem is that when I modprobe i915 I get the following error:
>
> [drm:drm_fill_in_dev] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module.
> DRM: fill_in_dev failed
> DRM: drm_get_dev failed.
> i915: probe of 0000:00:02:0 failed with error -22
>
> There is no /dev/agpgart (it's a pci express device, so this makes
> sense?), and according to 'grep -ni AGP /boot/config-2.6.20-1.2952.fc6'
> it's in the kernel:
>
> 1995:CONFIG_AGP=y
> 1996:CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
> 1997:CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
> 1998:CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
> 1999:CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
>
> Which, when I run 'startx -- /tmp/modular/bin/Xorg' gives me:
>
> (WW) intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
> (II) Module already built-in
> (II) Module already built-in
> (II) Module already built-in
> (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
> (EE) intel(0): Internal Error: maxCacheLines < 0 in
> i830_allocate_2d_memory()
> etc...
>
> Which is why I'm looking at agpgart and intel-agp.  Unfortunately, FC6
> deems it necessary to compile both into the kernel.  So unless I roll my
> own (Why does FC6 insist on VolGroup/mkinitrd/b.s.?) I'm kinda at a loss.
[snip]

Well, since I sent this out a few hours ago, I rolled out 2.6.21.5 from
kernel.org.  I used FC6 /boot/config-... and changed the agp stuff to
modules.  Waddaya know, it likes that.  Surprisingly, mkinitrd is _much_
easier than I remember it.

Now I'm just trying to get the d*mn synaptics driver to load to
/tmp/modular/ properly...  I'm of half a mind to install all of Xorg git
right over the FC6 version.  ;>  Okay, I dropped the synaptics driver
and just use the touchpad as a generic mouse.  Good enough for tonight. :)

It's been a long day, so I'm not sure I see that same fuzziness (scaling
when resolution == actual_resolution) as the thread I referenced
previously.  I'll look at it tomorrow.

If anyone has some advice about how they replaced the FC6 Xorg with the
git one, I'd appreciate it.

Jason.