a couple of odd behaviours.

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Mon Jun 18 07:36:56 PDT 2007

First, I'm a relative noob in this group so please forgive me if I commit
any faux-pas'.

I have 4 machines connected with a single KVM (the KVM is part of the
problem but not all of the problem).

2 machines run FC6 (call them M and A)and 2 machines run Windows XP (call
them B and E).

The M and A were recently upgraded from FC5 to FC6.  Since the upgrade,
if I don't do something X related on those machines for a couple of days,
Xorg either goes into a loop or I get a login screen, despite me not
having logged out.  My assumption is that the login screen follows Xorg
crashing but I haven't confirmed that for sure.  The other processes on
the system continue to run and I can SSH into the machine without any
problems, it's just X related things that don't work.

Any suggestions for things to look for (or at) to try and nail this
problem down would be most welcome.

The other problem is at least partially KVM related.

If I "auto adjust" the monitor (Princeton VL1715) on M, it looks OK on E,
but the "working" part of the screen is shifted ~0.25 inches to the left
on A and B.  If I auto adjust while connected to A, it's OK and E but
shifted to the right on M and B.  If I auto adjust on B or E it's "close"
on the other one but off on M and A.  Is there a mechanism to tell Xorg
to "nudge" the screen left or right?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BRuce

--
Bruce Bowler        | Take what you can and let the rest go by.  - Ken