Intel driver problem

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jun 16 00:07:11 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 02:17 +0200, Marco Coli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following problem on an Intel Mac Mini.
> Previously I had FC6 on the machine, with "intel" driver for X. All
> worked ok.
> As soon as I upgraded to F7 (which has xorg-x11 1.3) I started to have
> problems with the driver, apparently related to Xv. It seems that
> XV_DOUBLE_BUFFER is always set to 0, creating tearing with HD material
> played by mplayer. It is also not possible to use Xv control to change
> contrast, brightness and so on in mplayer, myth.

The default technique for displaying the video has been switched from
the overlay to drawing video using the 3D hardware as a texture. This
improves the ability to support Composite and RandR at the cost of
increased hardware demands and reduced video control support.

You can either change your program to use the overlay adaptor
explicitly:

 $ mplayer -vo xv:port=89

or you can change the order that the adaptors are created inside the
driver (see i830_video.c:I830InitVideo) to place the overlay first
instead of second so that applications will default to the desired port.

The basic problem is that these two mechanisms have different advantages
and disadvantages; selecting the "right" default turns out to be
problematic. Eric has made a few improvements in the textured video path
in the last week and fixing the remaining tearing and video output
property limitations are possible as well.

keith.packard at intel.com