AMD deciding _now_ what to do about Linux

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Jun 15 16:54:45 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 03:10:23PM -0500, Chris Pemberton wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I wrote to AMD regarding the state of ATI Linux drivers..
> >

> Perhaps this is a good time for me to ask a question:
>
> How many man hours would you estimate it would take for *experienced*
> developers, using mesa, dri, drm, agpgart etc to produce a driver that
> performs *better* than AMD's current drivers?  (Assuming AMD gives all
> the necessary resources).  I ask this because I would first like to
> understand the magnitude of what I'm asking for before I do the actual
> asking.  Could anyone here offer up a rough estimate?

Probably not very long at all, given that there already is a working
driver for much of this that's not able to be opened up due to legal
issues with ATI.

So, figure a month or so to get something "working" and then maybe 6-12
months of performance issues.

And, we have the developers ready to do this work, so manpower is not an
issue.  See www.linuxdriverdevelopment.org for details.

thanks,

greg k-h