AMD deciding _now_ what to do about Linux

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 15:17:47 PDT 2007

On 15/06/07, Chris Pemberton <cjpembo at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I wrote to AMD regarding the state of ATI Linux drivers..
> >

> Perhaps this is a good time for me to ask a question:
>
> How many man hours would you estimate it would take for *experienced*
> developers, using mesa, dri, drm, agpgart etc to produce a driver that
> performs *better* than AMD's current drivers?  (Assuming AMD gives all
> the necessary resources).  I ask this because I would first like to
> understand the magnitude of what I'm asking for before I do the actual
> asking.  Could anyone here offer up a rough estimate?
>
> If we exclude the developers that are already busy with Intel and
> nVidia; how many individuals with the expertise to code X11 are free to
> stop whatever they're working on now and begin to code the AMD?  In
> other words - is there a shortage of *available* talent?  Please don't
> be offended by that last statement; it is just a question and nothing more.
>
> Chris

I doubt that anyone would be offended by your question, as man-power
is the fundamental core driving open source projects such as Xorg. I
don't have the answer, but I'm certain that it would be hundreds if
not thousands of hours. That's one reason why further development of
the official ATI driver is essential.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/