SyncMaster 205BW / Intel i810 timing issued

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Thu Jun 14 19:04:34 PDT 2007

On 15 Jun 2007, at 01:17, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> Upgrading the driver can't hurt. :)
>
> If it doesn't work with the latest driver, you probably will get the
> attention of the Intel folks on this list as you more than likely have
> (yet another) misbehaving monitor.

OK, will do, thanks.

>> Yup, 1.9.94 is the latest version available for Feisty. I see that
>> 2.0.0 is available for Gutsy.
>
> Well, that should work too, but again, upgrading can't hurt. I would
> imagine that using 915resolution and other BIOS hacks with the
> modesetting driver is asking for trouble. So stop using 915resolution
> at the very least and see what the driver can autodetect or what you
> can specify from xorg.conf.

Done.

> In fact, many times a recommendation for people having issues with the
> server is to move your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file aside and see what is
> autodetected by the server + driver. That can help in many cases as
> the intel driver is very good with autodetection.

Aha. With 1.9.94 it autodetects the 1680x1050 mode - which it didn't
when I started my experiments with 1.7.4.  So it /nearly/ works with
no xorg.conf.

In the DCC gathered modelines I see two 1680x1050 modes - one with
+H/-V and one with -H/+V. I bet it's using the +H/-V one. I think if
it switched to +VSync everything would be fine.

Is there a way to force it to use the -H/+V modeline or should I just
grit my teeth and install the latest release?

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net