Random X lockup

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:57:48 PDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Davide Nitti <davidenitti at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem with X, I have random lockup of X, when happen i can't
> use mouse or keyboard.
> Using a SSH remote session I can see that X taking 99.9% cpu.
> I have this problem with all version of kernel, linux distributions,
> xorg versions.
> Reading some forum, I can conclude:
>
> - The crash occurs on various hardware
> -- CPU: P4 3Ghz, AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1400, AMD Athlon 900Mhz, Athlon
> XP 1500+, Pentium III 866MHz
> -- GFX cards: Radeon 9200, Radeon 9700, NVidia GeForce2 GTS/Pro, GeForce
> Ultra 5700, Geforce FX 5200
> -- M/B: Abit AT7 (VIA KT333), SiS P4S61, (TODO add more mobos)
> -- Mem: various sizes

Because you saw other with symptoms similar to you doesn't
mean you are affected by the same bug so please state your
personnal hw on which you experience this.

> - It occurs on various w/ms like: kde, gnome, ion2, fluxbox
>
> - It occurs on various kernel versions: 2.4.23-ck1 - 2.6.21
>
> - It occurs on various X versions:
> --XFree 4.3 - ??
> --Xorg up to 7.2
>
> -Reports in various distributions: debian, mandrake, fedora, gentoo,
> ubuntu, opensuse
>
> Sympthoms:
>
> - X CPU usage 100%
> - Keyboard is not working
> - Mouse is working but nothing is clickable (in some cases mouse is not
> working any more)
> - Magic SysRq is possible
> - SSHing in from remote server and killing X is possible.
>
> I can't solve this problem since years :-(
> please help me!
> Thanks
>
> Davide Nitti

We neither haven't solved this problem of gpu lockup for radeon
since years so obviously this is not an easy things. Especialy given
that we have no documentation on how do debug GPU neither
GPU errata and i won't speak about motherboard errata and all
other things that might get in the way.

Please consider trying lowering your agp speed, disabling agpfastwrite
and force bustype to pci in your xorg.conf (man radeon for doing
all this). And report status.

best,
Jerome Glisse