i965 textured video woes

Andrew J. Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:07:25 PDT 2007

I cannot use textured video + OpenGL compositing on my i965. If I use
XAA, playback fails with a BadAlloc error--this crashes totem and
causes a black screen with audio on Mplayer. If I use EXA, the video
plays, but two things are wrong: 1) CPU usage is _extremely_ high
(one core hits 75 percent decoding an XviD .avi file) and if the
video is full screen it is very, very jittery, 2) Compiz decoration
shadows are drawn wrong--the shadows are not tapered off but are
instead solid semi-transparent rectangles around the windows. This also
messes up correct drawing of the window border (parts of it are black).

CPU is a Core 2 Duo 2x1.86GHz. Normally decoding this kind of video
uses about 15-25 percent of one core. The driver is git HEAD and Compiz
is version 0.5.0.

--
Andrew J. Barr

Ronald Reagan: America's answer to Inspector Clouseau