R500 initial driver release announcement

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 02:39:33 PDT 2007

On 6/13/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 20:55 +0200, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> > Over the past couple of months, a small group of people has been working
> > on reverse engineering the r500-based AMD video cards.  Everyone involved
> > worked on this in whatever free time they had, which is why this has
> > taken so long.
>
> Sweet!
>
> I tried this on my MacBook Pro (X1300, 1440x900 LCD), and it seems to
> work. I had a couple of problems:
> depth 16:
>  colors where weird, white was green, etc
>  screen had two copies of the data, one on the upper left quadrant, one
>  one the upper right quadrant, and the lower half was mostly black with
>  some garbage

On mbp i think its x1600 :)

> depth 32:
>  died complaining about illegal weight "000"
>
> depth 24:
>  WORKS!

I think the driver simply does not handle different depth (at least
i can't remember making any code to support that :))

> However, things are very slow. Slower than the vesa driver even, which I
> assume is because that enables ShadowFB. Is it easy to add shadow
> support to a driver?

ShadowFB might effectively help, don't think it's too hard to add.
Feel free to submit patch. Btw did you see corruption around
cursor (you should :)) ?

best,
Jerome Glisse