R500 initial driver release announcement

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 02:33:28 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 20:55 +0200, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> Over the past couple of months, a small group of people has been working
> on reverse engineering the r500-based AMD video cards.  Everyone involved
> worked on this in whatever free time they had, which is why this has
> taken so long.

Sweet!

I tried this on my MacBook Pro (X1300, 1440x900 LCD), and it seems to
work. I had a couple of problems:
depth 16:
 colors where weird, white was green, etc
 screen had two copies of the data, one on the upper left quadrant, one
 one the upper right quadrant, and the lower half was mostly black with
 some garbage

depth 32:
 died complaining about illegal weight "000"

depth 24:
 WORKS!

However, things are very slow. Slower than the vesa driver even, which I
assume is because that enables ShadowFB. Is it easy to add shadow
support to a driver?