Preliminary OLPC xkb definitions

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Jun 11 17:59:14 PDT 2007

Daniel Stone wrote:

>> +partial alphanumeric_keys
>> +xkb_symbols "olpc" {
>
> Can you quickly enumerate the differences between this and a standard
> Brazilian keyboard?

The person who knows better is again Walter bender, but here's
a link to the brazilian keyboard map (click on the pictures to
enlarge then):

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Keyboard_layouts

I will answer to Sergey's followup for the rest of
your points.

>> +partial alphanumeric_keys
>> +xkb_symbols "olpc" {
>> +
>> +    name[Group1]="Nigerian - OLPC";
>> +
>> +    include "ng(basic)"
>> +};
>
> ... this is obviously utterly unnecessary.  If you have a list of set
> layouts you need to mangle (model olpc + layout foo -> symbols
> foo(olpc)), use a model group in the rules file to only change certain
> layouts.

I see your point, but I'm quite unfamiliar with this rules mayhem,
so I'm unsure how to achieve it.  Would this work?

First I define them:

 ! $olpc_ext_layouts = ara br th us

And then in the "model layout = symbols" I do:

  olpc          $olpc_ext_layouts       =       pc(olpc)+%l%(v)
  olpc          *                       =       pc(olpc)+%l

>> +    // It's a little different from the usual international layout.
>
> How so?  (Explaining what the keys on the third and fourth levels of the
> top row are would be good: I don't have an exact Unicode map in my
> head.)

I added a link to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Keyboard_english.jpg
for reference.

>> +partial alphanumeric_keys
>> +xkb_symbols "olpc2" {
>> +    include "us(olpc)"
>> +    key <AB11>	{ [ ISO_Next_Group, ISO_Prev_Group ] };
>> +};
>
> So the only purpose of this second layout is to get rid of
> multiply/divide?

I don't know why this has been done.  Can probablt
be dropped.  Walter?

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/