Makes me wonder if Linux will ever be ready for the common desktop, not to mention laptop

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Jun 9 06:54:42 PDT 2007

Chris Pemberton wrote:
> I gave my wife, a non-Linux user, the task of determining if an Intel
> 945GM graphics chip would work in Linux.  A quick google search and a
> few clicks and she is here:
>
> http://intellinuxgraphics.org
>
> reading what appears to be a press release from Intel stating how great
> their graphics drivers are.  Her conclusion: yes it is supported.  I
> then explained to her that in fact the drivers were only somewhat
> complete and lacked certain features.  Her reaction was to call me a
> nerd for wasting her time, but she also said that the website had misled
> her into thinking the drivers were functional.

I've had a an 945GM for some time in my Dell and I can't say i've ever
had a problem with the driver. Sure some multihead stuff wasn't ideal at
first but it's come a long way in recent months.

I can say I regret my purchase for one moment. I can say that my system
is almost 100% proprietary free (I still use VMWare in the office) which
make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Col