Makes me wonder if Linux will ever be ready for the common desktop, not to mention laptop

Chris Pemberton cjpembo at embarqmail.com
Fri Jun 8 20:24:12 PDT 2007

> ...i am very gratefull to them
> for all time and money they put in xorg, mesa, dri and linux graphics
> subsystem in general.

I have shown my gratitude as well; by buying their products.  Almost
every component in this machine is Intel.  Some of that money you
reference was from me.  So I feel I've purchased the right to express my
disappointment on this forum.

Here is an example of what I'm trying to say:

I gave my wife, a non-Linux user, the task of determining if an Intel
945GM graphics chip would work in Linux.  A quick google search and a
few clicks and she is here:

http://intellinuxgraphics.org

reading what appears to be a press release from Intel stating how great
their graphics drivers are.  Her conclusion: yes it is supported.  I
then explained to her that in fact the drivers were only somewhat
complete and lacked certain features.  Her reaction was to call me a
nerd for wasting her time, but she also said that the website had misled
her into thinking the drivers were functional.

I then asked her to determine if the 945GM works in Windows.  She said
it was a trick question because nobody would buy it if it didn't work in
Windows.

I then showed her that Dell is shipping laptops with Intel graphics and
Linux.  Her reaction was that Dell's return department will be very busy
soon.

I'm aware that Intel is staffed with many intelligent and dedicated
people; some are legendary.  I just expected a driver that lived up to
its billing.

Good luck with the development.  I look forward to your next official
release.

Chris