intel driver will only compile with gcc

Kean Johnston kean at armory.com
Fri Jun 8 10:54:54 PDT 2007

> xserver/doc/c-extensions says those are allowed in the server, which I
> presume extends to apply to drivers as well.
Then that document is wrong. The rest of the server, and all other
drivers, build just fine without them. It also strokes me as very
arbitrary to put a stake in the ground about that one particular
extension which will make it impossible to port X.org to older
architectures that were quite happily supported in 6.9 but no
longer are after modularization. At least two such platforms are
actively being ported, and this "permission" makes that impossible.

Since nothing else except for the intel driver is currently making
any use of that extension, one has to ask whether or not it is valid
to give "permission" to use it. Doing so will just break more stuff
than it will solve.

Can I lobby to have "permission" for variadic macros removed from
that document (which, incidently, only lives in the git tree it seems
as it was not in my xorg 1.2.0 source tarball).

Kean