RandR extension missing error

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Jun 3 16:59:32 PDT 2007

On Sunday 03 June 2007 13:56, Andy Ritger wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Alberto Milone wrote:
> > Hal V. Engel wrote:
> >> I have been trying to get randr working on my machine for some time
> >> without success.  I have xorg 7.2, xorg-server 1.3 (I have also tried
> >> 1.2) libXrandr 1.2 (I have also tried 1.1) and xrandr 1.2.  I have an
> >> nvidia graphics card and I am running version 1.0.9755 of the propritory
> >> driver.  I have
> >>
> >> Option "RandRRotation" "true"
> >>
> >> in the Device sections of xorg.conf.
> >>
> >> When I run xrandr I get the following:
> >>
> >> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
> >> RandR extension missing
> >>
> >> Looking in the Xorg.0.log I do not find any indication that there was
> >> any issues with randr.  Anyone have any ideas about what may be
> >> happening and how to fix this?
> >
> > As far as I know Nvidia's proprietary driver doesn't support Randr 1.2
> > yet.
>
> That's correct -- the NVIDIA driver doesn't support RandR 1.2, yet
> (hopefully soon...).  However, the NVIDIA driver should interact properly
> with the RandR 1.1 compatibility layer in place in the X server, and the
> display configuration page in nvidia-settings should provide comparable
> functionality to RandR 1.2.
>
> I hope that helps,
> - Andy Ritger

nvidia-settings has a number of problems.  The main one of concern here is
that when I tried to change the screen resolution it complained about randr
not being available.  It appears that it does not have this functionality
independent of randr.  The other issue I have with nvidia-settings is that it
clobbers my video card gamma tables when ever it is run making my displays,
which were carefully calibrated using a EyeOne Display color meter, not so
calibrated anymore.

The main reason that I need to be able to change screen resolution is to test
an application that I maintain to make sure that it is usable across a range
of screen resolutions.  Having to restart the X server for each resolution
change is not a very good way to be handling this.

There is clearly something wrong on my machine that is causing randr to not
work correctly.  As far as I can tell I have everything needed installed and
my configuration looks to be OK and there are no error messages showing up in
any logs.  But I don't know what to look for beyond that or how to diagnose
the source of the problem in the absence of additional information.

Hal