RandR extension missing error

Andy Ritger aritger at nvidia.com
Sun Jun 3 13:56:07 PDT 2007

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Alberto Milone wrote:

> Hal V. Engel wrote:
>> I have been trying to get randr working on my machine for some time without
>> success.  I have xorg 7.2, xorg-server 1.3 (I have also tried 1.2) libXrandr
>> 1.2 (I have also tried 1.1) and xrandr 1.2.  I have an nvidia graphics card
>> and I am running version 1.0.9755 of the propritory driver.  I have
>>
>> Option "RandRRotation" "true"
>>
>> in the Device sections of xorg.conf.
>>
>> When I run xrandr I get the following:
>>
>> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
>> RandR extension missing
>>
>> Looking in the Xorg.0.log I do not find any indication that there was any
>> issues with randr.  Anyone have any ideas about what may be happening and how
>> to fix this?
>>
> As far as I know Nvidia's proprietary driver doesn't support Randr 1.2 yet.

That's correct -- the NVIDIA driver doesn't support RandR 1.2, yet
(hopefully soon...).  However, the NVIDIA driver should interact properly
with the RandR 1.1 compatibility layer in place in the X server, and the
display configuration page in nvidia-settings should provide comparable
functionality to RandR 1.2.

I hope that helps,
- Andy Ritger