MTRR vs. PAT and Intel Graphics

Keith Whitwell keith at tungstengraphics.com
Fri Jun 1 08:06:50 PDT 2007

Bruce Perens wrote:
> Keith and Co.,
>
> In the aftermath of my investigation of i965G performance dropping
> severely on my Gigabyte motherboard when a particular fan setting was
> configured, I found that this is ultimately attributable to the fact
> that Windows uses the more versatile Page Attribute Tables while Linux
> is still using MTRRs alone for the same purpose. And for this reason we
> are probably not going to get much help on the issue from BIOS and
> motherboard manufacturers. PCI Express systems seem to have made the
> situation worse in that memory-mapped I/O regions are in general less
> contiguous. nVidia, Jeff Hartmann, and others have been trying to get
> PAT into the kernel since at least 2004, the latest patch to do so
> appears to be a year old and didn't quite meet approval. More
> information is at http://technocrat.net/d/2007/6/1/20838
>
> Since this problem can severely effect Intel graphics performance on
> Linux systems while leaving Windows unscathed, I think it would be
> desirable for Intel to involve itself in this issue until PAT is
> successfully incorporated into mainstream kernels. Keith, can you help
> with this?

I spoke with Thomas about this patch at one point.  His belief was that
PAT support can be more simply supported by directly manipulating page
attributes from the drm/ttm memory manager - this could be as little as
a few more functions worth of code or perhaps a new small file's worth.

If you're not familiar with it, this is a good overview:

http://www.tungstengraphics.com/mm.pdf

Keith