MTRR vs. PAT and Intel Graphics

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Jun 1 07:49:59 PDT 2007

Keith and Co.,

In the aftermath of my investigation of i965G performance dropping
severely on my Gigabyte motherboard when a particular fan setting was
configured, I found that this is ultimately attributable to the fact
that Windows uses the more versatile Page Attribute Tables while Linux
is still using MTRRs alone for the same purpose. And for this reason we
are probably not going to get much help on the issue from BIOS and
motherboard manufacturers. PCI Express systems seem to have made the
situation worse in that memory-mapped I/O regions are in general less
contiguous. nVidia, Jeff Hartmann, and others have been trying to get
PAT into the kernel since at least 2004, the latest patch to do so
appears to be a year old and didn't quite meet approval. More
information is at http://technocrat.net/d/2007/6/1/20838

Since this problem can severely effect Intel graphics performance on
Linux systems while leaving Windows unscathed, I think it would be
desirable for Intel to involve itself in this issue until PAT is
successfully incorporated into mainstream kernels. Keith, can you help
with this?

    Thanks

    Bruce