[i810-1.7.4] Spurious crash on resume

Raúl Sánchez Siles rasasi78 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 16:03:06 PDT 2007

Gautam Iyer wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I noticed that after upgrading my kernel from 2.6.19 to 2.6.21, I get a
> seemingly "random" crash when I resume my laptop (after suspending to
> ram). Most of the time, my laptop resumes OK. However once in a way, I
> get a complete freeze.
>

> Everything works fine when I use Kernel 2.6.19-r5 (gentoo). I get the
> seemingly random crash when I use Kernel 2.6.21-r4 (gentoo). Would any
> one know what's going on?

 You forgot to mention your laptop model. That information is valuable. Also
are you sure you haven't upgraded i810 Xorg driver as well?

 According to your explanation and your log this seems a BIOS related
problem. The driver stops working when it invokes int10 (BIOS) sometimes,
possibly because the kernel is doing some new optimisation which is giving
you a problem. I advice you to look at acpi4linux and investigate there.

  Is the crash a total (machine) freeze, like not pingable I guess not from
your explanation. In this case is the video POST method used that fails.
Test vbetools with are quite well integrated in the hibernate scripts.

  One last comment: maybe you could try the latest Xorg Intel 2.1 driver

> Thanks,

You welcome.

> PS: IIRC, I had a random crash when I connected my laptop to a TV to
>     watch a movie. It played fine for an hour, and then crashed
>     randomly. The only thing that crashed though was X. I pressed the
>     power button, suspended to disk, and then resumed to find a bunch of
>     garbage numbers on the virtual console X was running on. I restarted
>     X and everything was fine.
This seems a BIOS problem + a video POST failure.

>     I don't think it was over heating, since I had gkrellm running which
>     showed my CPU at some 6%, and 50 degrees. It's a Pentium M, rated to
>     100 degrees.
I don't think hot is a likely problem here.