[i810-1.7.4] Spurious crash on resume

Gautam Iyer gautam at math.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 18 09:24:10 PDT 2007

Hi All,

I noticed that after upgrading my kernel from 2.6.19 to 2.6.21, I get a
seemingly "random" crash when I resume my laptop (after suspending to
ram). Most of the time, my laptop resumes OK. However once in a way, I
get a complete freeze.

When my system crashes, the last few lines of my Xorg.log are

    [snip]
    (WW) I810(0): Successfully set original devices (2)
    (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
    (II) AIGLX: Resuming AIGLX clients after VT switch
    (II) I810(0): Detected resume, re-POSTing.
    (WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
    (II) I810(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
    [EOF]

When my system resumes successfully what I see in my Xorg.log is
something like

    [snip]
    (WW) I810(0): Successfully set original devices (2)
    (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
    (II) AIGLX: Resuming AIGLX clients after VT switch
    (II) I810(0): Detected resume, re-POSTing.
    (WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
    (II) I810(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
    (II) I810(0): Re-POSTing via int10.
    (II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 7 at 0x00fbf000 (pgoffset 4031)
    (II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 0 at 0x0dfff000 (pgoffset 57343)
    [snip]

I also think that only X crashed, but my system is running normally. I
say this because when I turn on / off my wireless networking switch, (or
plugin / pull out my ethernet cable) *after* the crash, my system logs
show that I successfully connect to the net.

Some version info about my system:

    Xorg:   7.2
    i810:   1.7.4 (my chipset is 915GM)

Everything works fine when I use Kernel 2.6.19-r5 (gentoo). I get the
seemingly random crash when I use Kernel 2.6.21-r4 (gentoo). Would any
one know what's going on?

Thanks,

GI

PS: IIRC, I had a random crash when I connected my laptop to a TV to
    watch a movie. It played fine for an hour, and then crashed
    randomly. The only thing that crashed though was X. I pressed the
    power button, suspended to disk, and then resumed to find a bunch of
    garbage numbers on the virtual console X was running on. I restarted
    X and everything was fine.

    I don't think it was over heating, since I had gkrellm running which
    showed my CPU at some 6%, and 50 degrees. It's a Pentium M, rated to
    100 degrees.

    Again, I never experienced any problems with 2.6.19 (I watched
    movies all the time by connecting my laptop to my home TV).

--
Beer: The reason I wake up every afternoon.