Multiple keyboard mapping issues

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Jan 25 14:08:37 PST 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 02:12:33AM +1030, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> I spent today trying to get multiple keyboards working.
> The vanilla xserver segfaults with evdev keyboard devices on the
> first keypress. Can anyone confirm this?

Hmm, I use evdev, and it works okay for me.

> Keyboard mapping is weird. I got it to work with my example
> application, typing in two windows at once.
>
> Evdev keyboards only have 128 keysyms, kbd devices 247.
>
> In theory, a MappingNotify event should inform a client about a
> changed number of keysyms. This is fine. XRefreshKeyboardMapping()
> hoewever doesn't change the min/max_keycode fields in the Display
> struct, nothing else seems to either. As a result, all applications
> get BadValue on the next GetKeyboardMapping request, due to
> max_keycodes being wrong (still on the 255).
> Is this a bug in Xlib or where did I go wrong?

IIRC, min/max_keycode is part of the setup, and thus is immutable.

> There's also a bug in xkbUtils.c:1042 where the memcpy(dst->map-
> >key_sym_map, ...) overwrites the later used dst->server->explicit,
> leading to another segfault. I can't see the reason why it would
> write over the boundaries, but then its over 15 hours looking at code
> already. If anyone can see the problem, I'd appreciate the hint.

Urgh.  I haven't been able to work that one out either, nor have I been
able to reproduce it.  Looking at the code (yet again), I can't figure
out how we can ever overrun here.

Cheers,
Daniel