Intel i915GM with SDVO CH7021A support?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jan 14 20:08:46 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 17:52 +0000, Will . wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finished very basic support for the CH7021A in the modesetting branch,
> and was wondering the best way to push it upstream?

If you can publish a git repository with the relevant bits, we can pull
them into the driver. If not, you could post emails (using
git-format-email) containing the diffs which we could apply.

> There is a simple routine to recognise the CH7021 and only enable the
> relevant code on this basis. I was considering adding an abstracted driver
> and move the tv out code in there.

I'm hoping that won't be necessary for sdvo tv out which is supposed to
be reasonably standard.

> At the moment it turns the tv out on with the selected resolution and that's
> it. It's currently only tested with PAL. I'm not setting the TV format at
> the moment so it probably just uses what was last set (presumably the BIOS
> setting). I don't think modes  and refresh rate limits from the config file
> are used currently?

The mobile TV out code just lists a set of standard resolutions and
scales those to the TV output. Accepting new mode lines to set custom
resolutions would probably be a good idea, along with listing all of the
resolutions present on other cards.

> I could add some standard tv modes in

Having the actual vertical resolution accurately represented would be a
good idea, but I'm not sure what to do about horizontal resolutions.
Ideally, we'd advertise the "standard" resolutions (like 720 for 480p
mode) as well as a mode with square pixels.

> i830_sdvo_get_modes(xf86OutputPtr output)
>
> if that's not inappropriate. I assume trying to set the TV format based on
> the resolution would be inappropriate, although perhaps it would be a quick
> fix until the randr output properties are available?

You shouldn't need output properties for various modes; just taking
whatever mode is provided and scaling it to the screen will let users
add a custom mode and set that to the TV output.

keith.packard at intel.com