Status of iDCT in i810 for G965 & X3000

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jan 13 19:55:24 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 17:10 -0500, sean wrote:
> As I understand, the i810 driver allows XvMC to use motion
> compensation. Intel says the X3000 video chip on G965 also
> does iDCT and de-interlacing in hardware. ( Sadly, it does
> not support H.264).

The 965 media support is pure software, so it should be able to manage
H.264 (not that I've looked into this at all, but, I *think* it should
work).

> Does the i810 driver support iDCT on the G965? In process?
> Planned? Not a chance?

We haven't published the hardware docs for other people to do the work,
so right now it's on our internal list of projects to get worked on this
year.

> I'm trying to decide between G965 and nvidia ( which does
> support iDCT) for a box that plays OTA 1080i HDTV. I'd much
> prefer to use OSS, but...

1080i should work fine without hardware iDCT with any kind of reasonable
processor, so the lack of GPU-assist here shouldn't keep you from using
the box. If you're planning on driving component video on the output, be
aware that we also haven't gotten SDVO TV out cards working quite yet,
but that's a far easier proposition than the iDCT work...

keith.packard at intel.com