[i810/modesetting] No output with an S-Video adapter

Frédéric Riss frederic.riss at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:53:12 PST 2007

Le jeudi 04 janvier 2007 à 17:05 +0100, Frédéric Riss a écrit :
> Le jeudi 04 janvier 2007 à 01:57 -0800, Keith Packard a écrit :
> >
> > I'm glad it's working now.
>
> Ooops, seems like I broke something. I think I haven't modified any
> software on the Edgy Mac Mini. I just played around with OSX display
> settings (PAL/NTSC frequencies) and got the issue running glxinfo that I
> reported in reply to Ross Burton's mail. Now I can't get X to start
> anymore with the S-Video adapter plugged in... Things are running fine
> with my CRT monitor though.
>
> Xorg.log attached.

I investigated a bit more and built a brand new X from git. The new
server has the exact same issue, it won't start if a TV is plugged in
the adapter at start.

However, I found a workaround. If I start the X server without a TV
plugged in, the server starts up (although there's no display plugged
in). The xrandr output after such a start is:

fred at minifunky:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 800 x 600, maximum 1024 x 768
VGA disconnected 0mm x 0mm
TMDS-1 connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768       60.0*
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9
TV disconnected 0mm x 0mm

At this point I can plug the TV and do:

fred at minifunky:~$ xrandr --output TV --auto --output TMDS-1 --off

to get display on the TV. The output of xrandr is then:

fred at minifunky:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
VGA disconnected 0mm x 0mm
TMDS-1 connected 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9
TV connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   NTSC 480i      99.3*
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9

In a previous mail, you said:

> Yeah, yeah, the TV output has a scaling engine so you can actually
> display any resolution you want to. We'll add a list of standard
> resoultions to the TV out code, and of course you can easily add more
> with xrandr (btw, get the randr-1.2 branch of xrandr and things will
> be far more clear).

I tried playing with xrandr, but I couldn't get any other resolution to
display on the TV screen. I'm a bit worried about this since the only
working mode (selected by --auto) is NTSC whereas my TV is PAL.