Freeze on Siemens Mobile 510 (Neomagic NM2160)

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Tue Jan 2 01:25:46 PST 2007

Bjoern Franke wrote:
> several years ago I bought a notebook (PII 266, graphics: Neomagic
> NM2160, sound: ES1869-chip) and installed debian sarge on it. When I
> used X and I also wanted to use the soundcard, the system freezed.
> Surprisingly this problem only appeared with Xfree 4.x, with the
> svga-xserver from Xfree 3.x sound und graphics worked.
> After upgrading to debian etch, I got xorg 7.x on my notebook and
> sound worked while using X.  Then was very happy because I could use
> xvideo-apps ;)
> But now, after uprading some packages, the problem is back.

Please do the following:

* Try to narrow down exactly which version of the Xorg packages works and
  which does not.  Debian package versions would help; if you figure out which
  specific package and feel up to doing a git bisect on the source and finding
  the specific commit, that would help the developers fix the problem more
  quickly.

* Report a bug against the appropriate package in the Debian bug-tracking
  system, and ideally also in the upstream BTS at bugs.freedesktop.org, so
  that this issue doesn't get lost.

Thank you.

- Josh Triplett