Diagnosing ADD2/SDVO issues

Rene Wagner reenoo at gmx.de
Wed Feb 28 06:48:25 PST 2007

Hi all,

I've got an Asus P5B-V mainboard with an Intel 965G chip. I was able to
make it work with the xf86-driver-intel modesetting branch. Using the
VGA signal, however, the output on a 1600x1200 LCD is so blurry that
it's hardly usable.

To fix the problem, I purchased a Silicon Image "Orion ADD2-N DUAL PAD
x16 Card" (rebadged HP, AFAICT the same Asus sells but which was out
of stock). It uses an Sil 1364 chip.

Now, I get a signal on the DVI port for a few seconds after switching
the computer on. Then it just dies. The intel driver shows that an
SDVO adapter is present in the register dump, but then fails to
recognize a device (log using a git build as of last night attached).

Does anyone have any recommendations how to diagnose the problem? Is
this a case of incompatible hardware, a broken BIOS, or is the hardware
just faulty? Reports of any other ADD2/SDVO cards working with the
Asus P5B-V board would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rene

--
Rene Wagner