Cirrus GD5446 at 1280x1024 - half way there!

Robin Atwood robin at binro.org
Sat Feb 24 03:32:19 PST 2007

I have been struggling with this for a week but I am stuck and no one else on
various lists has much idea either. Perhaps you guys have the answer. I have
installed Solaris 10 in a virtual machine under Qemu. Solaris is configured
to use Xorg and Qemu emulates the CL GD5446 video adapter. When I configured
xorg.conf for 1280x1024, I got an error message 'no mode' and only 1024x768
resolution. Now, I also have Win XP and Plan 9 running under Qemu and both
display at 1280x1024, so I booted XP and poked around in
the 'Display/Settings' dialog and found that a mode of 1280x1024 at 43Hz
interlaced with 16 bpp was being used. So I went to
http://xtiming.sourceforge.net and generated a mode line at 43Hz. When I
restarted Xorg I got a "bad mode clock/interlace..." message. So I tried with
non-interlaced which resulted in the correct resolution but only the top half
of the screen was rendered. In the monitor section of xorg.conf I have:

   HorizSync   28.0 - 85.0
   VertRefresh 43.0 - 75.0
   Modeline "1280x1024 at 43" 75.45 1280 1312 1592 1624 1024 1046 1053 1076

and the screen section has a default depth of 16. What does the half-size
display imply and how do I go about fixing this? The emulated video chip has
4 MB of RAM which is enough for the other OS's.

TIA
-Robin.
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling