Latest i810 driver

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Wed Feb 21 23:51:43 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 22:03 +0100, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:

> I've tried your AGP driver for Intel (from git://git.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/linux-agp-compat.):
> Linux agpgart interface v0.102 (c) Dave Jones
> agpgart: Detected an Intel 915GM Chipset.
> agpgart: Detected 16124K stolen memory.
> agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000
>
> and I have noticed that after several suspends to RAM is the AGP driver
> probably broken. It causes that played video (using textured video) displays
> only mess instead of movie.

BTW, is this using XAA or EXA? The driver can't guarantee to do textured
video correctly with the former, although I think the symptoms might be
different if that was the problem.

> I have thought that it is something wrong in Intel
> driver from X.org but I have also tried to restart the X server and the issue
> with XVideo did not disappear. Restarting whole machine helps. So it looks
> like there is something broken in the AGP module.

Not necessarily, e.g. it could be that the X driver doesn't fully
(re-)initialize the relevant parts of the hardware.

> I've also noticed that intel_agp module cannot be unloaded even if no X server
> is running. lsmod shows that the module is still used.

That's a kernel issue, the agpgart module bumps the use count of the
backend module with no way (that I know of) to decrease it. rmmod -f
intel_agp works for me, but you have to be careful not to do that while
anything's actually using it, i.e. stop X and modprobe -r i915 before
etc.