Debian X Team Move To Git

David Nusinow dnusinow at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 6 20:24:04 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

   The Debian X Strike Force just finished moving our source to git. It's
all hosted on git.debian.org. Hopefully this will make it easier on you all
to know what we're up to.

   Each repository has at least a debian-unstable branch that we do our
main development on. Most repositories will also have an upstream-unstable
branch which is just a pull from freedesktop. Right now those are just
what's currently HEAD here, but eventually these will become exactly the
source from freedesktop.org that we're shipping. The packaging (and some
additional long-lived patches) will all go in the debian-branch.

   So if you're looking at a bug report from a Debian user and you want to
know exactly what we're shipping, in the near future you should be able to
just look at the upstream-* branch of interest and see what the user is
running. Similarly, if you want to build Debian packages of something like
a cutting edge repository, you'll be able to pull in the packaging via the
debian branch of your choice.

   I've written down the gross details of how we've structured things[0]
but feel free to ask me or anyone else on the team if you have any
questions or if you think we're totally on crack.

 - David Nusinow

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/git-usage